the [mostly stationary] travelogue of a New Yorker in London

Saturday, November 24, 2007

KOKO and frolicking in a land where boys dance with each other

last night J and I went to KOKO, a club on Camden High Street, right across from the Morning Crescent tube stop. I have heard all about it, The Libertines, The Sex Pistols, The Clash [heart flutters], Madness, infamously played there, as was Charlie Chaplin a headliner in 1900. Way Cool.

anyway, J and i went to see a group from Glasgow called We Are The Physics. They were awesome! Punk Rock played by skinny boys with astigmatisms and thick accents. the songs were short and intense, filled with energy, lots of chanting, not a lot of singing, but a whole hell of a lot of stage presence.

(For anyone interested, they are on myspace at myspace.com/wearethephysics)

they were seriously fun.

More importantly, oddly enough, MGMT is playing at the same time slot next week,

[along with two other bands, one I'm pretty excited for, The Courteeners, the other i can't remember the name, but who are a tad ambient for me.]

that is really very exciting, the last time i tried to see them, i failed spectacularly, getting there only for the last two songs. so this time i think i shall be victorious, plus they are playing the night before at a different bar like ten [walking] minutes from my house. rock on rock on.

most importantly though, nearly every song they played to dance to, was one, rock/pop n' roll, and two i knew. it is wonderful to be back in the world where boys go out to dance, even if it is only with one another. no more forced boys night out where they seek the fairer sex. i mean, yes, they certainly seek the fairer sex, but here it seems like just another reason to go out rather than THE reason to go out. it is nice. plus they look silly and fantastic jumping around insanely.

and the outfits, oh the outfits. boys in skinny jeans, girls in boots, vests [waistcoats] ran amok with seriously ratted out hair all mod-tastic and what not.

[the girls and boys, not the waistcoats]

You thought Bard was hipster, hoooh boy you have no idea!

all in all, i think i am exactly in the right place for me to be.

tonight is J's last night, which is very sad. i am hoping i don't chicken out and run back to Canterbury at least for the first few nights here by my lonesome.

which reminds me! Thanksgiving. I'll do it short and sweet, it was nice, very nice. down to canters where J and I cooked. Just five of my friends, good food and nice conversation. Plus she got to meet the important people, save one. but that's a story that is endlessly boring and repetitive. alas, a whirlwind visit to canters is not enough time to see everyone. ah well.

so, here's to the next step: the job search. Found a website, and ya know, if it comes down to it, I'll try for something in a record store, bookshop, video palace, whatever.

[they think they're so superior cos they work in a record store!]

pictures are soon to come, i left my usb cord so i need to obtain one before pictures can be shared. but rest assured, they will be!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lovin' reading about your adventures no mater what order you think to post them. Keep writing! I need to know.

Anonymous said...

just back from NY where I saw everyone, had a great unTurkey Thanksgiving meal and made friends (again - after I fended off a flying leap in the general direction of my groin) with Ollie. Got your blog address from your dad - I'll be checking in regularly - love the day-by-day details.

Had no idea you were so much into music and bands and stuff. When I worked in a record store back in the days - (I'm surprised they still exist now) - my memories were mostly about heavy lifting and scheming managers - if you wind up in one, I hope its more exciting than that.

Have you been up on that giant Ferris wheel thingie? I understand the view's spectacular (yes - we want lots of pictures too)