the [mostly stationary] travelogue of a New Yorker in London

Sunday, November 25, 2007

A Dearest Letter flies home

J went home. it was really a very hard day. in so many more ways than what was obvious. To start, we missed J's flight by like five minutes, not even. which blew. then there was the ensuing bureaucracy...gotta love it. but then came the hard part. we sat there in the airport, looking at each other across the table in

[one of the many]

pret a manger. with every minute that went by, it felt more normal that she was there and therefore harder to say goodbye.

to be honest, this morning i woke up thinking, this won't hit me now. it will hit me at some inconvenient time in the middle of the week. that this incredibly important person to me has left me, alone. not only alone here in this strange city, but alone here in this strange world.

[she is pretty intrinsic in my life, can ya tell?!?]

but we said goodbye, didn't cry, nearly did, but just didn't. then the tube was messed up on the way home. it was such a good metaphor. it just didn't work, took me a while to get home. which allowed me to listen to my music which reminded me why i am here, in this music capital of the world. then i was home, watched The Mighty Boosh

[new season is out!!!!],

made a sandwich, then more TV.

[catching up on all the stuff i missed in the last two weeks]

then i made dinner, very tasty. watched some top gear. and spent some time with my new housemates. it was very nice, quiet, not busy or too much. then more TV.

and just now, when i went downstairs to make some tea, they were watching The Mighty Boosh. On TV! in the craziness of the last few weeks i have forgotten that i get to watch all the British television in real time that i want!

and my housemates WATCH the Mighty Boosh.

[if anyone doesn't know what television show i am talking about, then first of all, you have been tuning out during my rants, or haven't been spending much time around me.]

my point is...go to Youtube.com and type in Mighty Boosh. watch any of the episodes, two guys who have adventures and sing songs. it is brilliant, demented and hilarious...and my housemates watch it!

i always look at situations or events in my life as signs along this roadtrip that i am on. the name of a restaurant, or show

[Brooklyn British Mersey Beat Soul explosion for example]

or the fact that people in my life watch something

[immensely popular in this country]

that i love.

anyway, i like it. makes me smile. lets hope this smile lasts for a while; until i get busy at least.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Oh, my honey, sometimes I may have to leave you... but I will never, ever, leave you alone!

Oh, my. Oh my oh my... I love you more than words. Nothing since leaving home has been as hard as leaving you there today...

I am so proud of you.
Viva la adventure!

xoxox

P.S. I expect you to call me every day.