the [mostly stationary] travelogue of a New Yorker in London

Wednesday, December 5, 2007

What Qualifies as a Good Day

today could be classified as totally excellent day. it was my first day at City Rockers,

[cityrockers.com]

which was a day spent creating band profiles on websites that are basically copies of Myspace and Facebook. it was totally surreal. i was doing what people my age do to procrastinate.

and i got free Cd's.

and i got to choose which new Sunshine Underground track went on their Myspace site.

[myspace.com/thesunshineunderground]

and the guys i work for are so very very cool. and they hooked me up with a woman who does PR, so we shall see if she emails me back. and on the way home, i was walking with one of them, talking about various things; politics... Hanukkah... and he said i could come in any time to work. it didn't have to be one day a week. that if i wasn't doing anything and was bored i could come in. he also said i should email him so that he could get me contact information of production companies that they have made videos with.

i felt so unbelievably like i was in a movie, walking home through the streets of Camden listening to my music, a combination of the bravery, johnny cash and tokyo police club,

[with a track of Hot Hot Heat to reignite my interest in them]

bought the last dregs of the Chinese food

[the grease tastes SO good, and dinner only costs a pound so...]

it was pretty much perfect.

i had said to myself that if i didn't have a paying job by the time i went home for Christmas i wasn't going to come back, but now i feel like it has just taken me at least half that time to get settled into my life, and maybe by the time i leave to come home i will have just set up the job thing.

i know it takes time, this is something i always forget. it is not instant nor easy to create a life. i'm just impatient, i want my life in all aspects to move as fast as my brain does.

speaking of peas and carrots...it is not only December

[what a mind blowing concept]

but it is also the holidays! i got sent a big package with gifts in it, the first one being a menorah. now...i haven't actually lit the candles as of yet

[even thought i am in one of the countries where people smoke the most]

i have nothing with which to light said fire. but i opened my second gift...a plant, how excellent. i am so lucky to have these gifts to remind me of my family. Hanukkah has always been one of my favorite holidays. the sitting around the table seeing my family by the light of the candles, it is one of the times when my grandmother is ever present. i miss my family at this time, but it also helps me to remember who they are and why they are so important to me.

anyway, i hope that i have more than just once a week days like this, but if i only have one a week, it is worth it. i love feeling like this.

it feels so natural, as if i am meant to be doing this, living this life.

i have a giant stupid grin on my face that i hope never goes away.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I AM SO PROUD OF YOU!
i am so proud of you!!

you are doing it just right. you hear me?